Like academic skills, life skills are often best learned in the context of real life. EYI uses teachable moments to teach essential life skills, such as teaching a youth who is hungry how to make a healthy snack or how to follow a recipe to make a nutritious meal in EYI's kitchen. Or, teaching a youth who just received their very first paycheck how to open a bank account by going to the bank. Here are just a few of the life skills EYI teaches on an as needed basis:
Our keys to success include:
- Money management, banking, and financial literacy.
- Getting a driver's license or state-issued ID.
- Getting a Social Security card or other important documents.
- Emergency preparedness.
- Community awareness and access.
- Connecting with parenting classes and support.
- Use of public services and public transportation.
- Personal hygiene.
- Menu planning, grocery shopping, and cooking.